The former home of a Nobel Prize-winning physicist attracted much attention when it went to market through Redmayne Arnold & Harris. Kapitza House on Huntingdon Road, Cambridge, was once owned by Pyotr Kapitza, a Russian who worked with Ernest Rutherford in the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge University where he also started the influential Kapitza Club. A Fellow of Trinity College, he was made a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1929 – becoming the first foreigner to receive the title. In 1978, Kapitza won the Nobel Prize in Physics ‘for his basic inventions and discoveries in the area of low-temperature physics’.
Designed by Kapitza together with the renowned English architect H C Hughes (who also designed the Grade II-listed Mond Laboratory for Kapitza on the old Cavendish site) in the early 1930s, the house is a detached, three-storey family home with six bedrooms. The house was built with double glazing from the beginning (somewhat unusual for that time), and the large lawned garden is a particular feature.
The house has remained in the family’s ownership since it was built. It went to market for £975,000.