Certified home staging and styling professional Clare Freenan guides you through a clutter free 2016
The clutter surrounding you takes time to clean around and look after. It can frequently be the cause of time wasted trying to find things; the car keys that have slipped under a pile of papers or the favourite top that is still buried in the drawer of clothes that the children have grown out of.
Reducing the unwanted and unnecessary items in your house will free up space in your home to create the calm surroundings you crave, and enable you to enjoy the things you choose to continue to live with. It really can be an exciting and rewarding process, once you get stuck in.
Where to Begin
• Start with a small drawer, counter or wardrobe – you’ll find completing it gives you energy to continue.
• Schedule in time, whether it’s every weekend for a month or one Saturday of every month for a few months.
• Consider whether each item actually makes you happy. If it doesn’t it should go into one of four piles – to donate, sell, recycle or throw away.
• Each person should have the right to decide about how to deal with their belongings, so try to involve them.
• Try to eliminate the guilt attached to items you held on to through obligation – this is where employing a neutral outsider can be really useful.
• Once you’ve been through each space, think about how to store the possessions you still want to keep. Devising new storage solutions for your home will help keep everything in order.
Clare Feenan is a Certified Home Staging & Styling Professional who runs a friendly and affordable property styling company operating in Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Essex.